Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools Day - Backfired :-(

Several years ago a friend and I were playing practical jokes on each other -- it was all meant to be good fun. But we got out of hand. So we agreed not to do that anymore. Well my high play ethic and my spontaneous impulsiveness got the better of me today.

It was the continuation of an April Fools joke played on me and I encouraged the individual to play it on others as well. And, of course, I helped with the deception. This wasn't one of those April Fools jokes where you switch the salt and the sugar type pranks. This was one that too closely mimicked real life. It took advantage of the goodness of other individuals and also squandered trust amongst friends. What's more, I ignored the check in my spirit (probably a prompting from God) that said, "this isn't right."

No one was physically hurt and we didn't mean harm, but . . .
I am confident of forgiveness and grace from all involved, but I am saddened that I used, as a joke, the trust of friendship. I remember someone saying when I was a kid, "well it is all fun until someone pokes out an eye." Well, I feel like I pokes some friends in the eye today and to be honest -- it wasn't that fun.

a partner in the gospel
Pastor Paul

8 comments:

  1. Are you going to leave us hanging . . . details? Maybe I'll want to use it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend Quinn,

    Get thee behind me! Don't bait a guy when he is being sorrowful. Besides, you don't want my twisted humor unleashed on you...

    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the friend in your story, who after putting your house up for sale for very little money, at a time when house were very hard to find, and then making you pay for the ad in the paper, I can fully understand your need to call a truce on more practical jokes.
    That being said I too felt the nudging of the Holy Spirit not to participate but did it anyways.
    Maybe next time we can both say no, or you can say no so I do not have to. Maybe that is what is implied by not causing your brother to stumble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Barndweller (Mark H.),

    There are only a few practical jokes that I have heard that rise above putting my house up for sale. I just wish I had been in town to field all the phone calls -- instead of just my lovely wife; another prime example of a backfired joke!
    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of thought the time I kicked you out of the mall and said real loud for everyone to hear " And never come back" was better.
    However we can not forget all of the jokes that led up to you house going up for sale.
    Like all of my socks and underwear getting duck taped into a ball. Or the soccer ball under my mattress to name a few.
    I was sorry that the prank backfired on your lovely wife.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Mark -- we better stop or I will start naming more things -- and you know Quinn will be reading this and we don't want him to get into the same trouble we did...

    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah your right.

    Quinn do not do the things Pastor Paul has done it will only mess you up or force someone to do the things I did back to you.
    All kidding aside, there are times for jokes and fun. I think the real key is knowing when and who to play one on. Also listening to that check in our spirit that tells us not to. We both had that.
    I played one April fools joke on my wife and lets just say I'm lucky she still married me after that. You could even say I'm lucky she married me period.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely don't want to get messed up like him. lol

    Rumor has it that Bonnie said "yes" on April fools day?? Not sure if there's anything to it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul