Monday, April 7, 2008

Invitation to the Gospel of John


Michael Card writes in his book, The Parable of Joy, Reflections on the Wisdom of the Book of John:

“Realize, as you listen to the text (he suggests reading out loud – me too), that you are sitting at the feet of the last living contemporary of Jesus. Give him the respect he deserves. Pay close attention as he takes you aside and whispers explanations in your ear, things he only realized years after the fact. None of the other Gospel writers will do this for you.”

I am going to be reading the gospel of John over the next few weeks (maybe months). We will also be studying it at The Gathering, our Wednesday evening Worship service at the church that I pastor.

I am planning on writing some of my thoughts regarding my reading here in my blog – Spotlights. I would like to invite you to do the same in the COMMENTS section. This is an invitation to sit at a “virtual table” or in a “virtual stuffed chair in front of a fireplace” and discuss a wonderful book. We won’t all read the gospel at the same pace, or the same time, and all won’t have the same level of involvement -- that is fine. Whenever you are available, grab a cup of coffee, your bible, and a nice comfortable chair and let’s discuss our reading. About once a week I will do a post under the symbol of the Eagle, which through much of Church history has represented the Gospel of John, and I will invite you to comment, ask questions, or just be present at the virtual table.

Some of you, I would guess, are ready to jump in! If you would like, let us know who you are by adding a COMMENT to this post.
Your partner in the gospel,
Pastor Paul

15 comments:

  1. this got me interested in going through my beth moore study called "beloved disciple" about the life and ministry of john, what a great study that was. through john's eyes you can see into the heart of jesus! steph olson

    ReplyDelete
  2. i obviously need lessons on how to run this computer, because i don't intend to be anonymous. steph olson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway to get a podcast of the Wednesday night Gatherings? Our small group meets on that night unfortunately.

    I'm discipling someone and we're going to be going through the Gospel of John . . . may He shine through all of us in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check on making the studies available from Wednesday nights...
    thanks Quinn
    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea what the Eagle represented tonight but this is what I found when I did an on line search; John
    the author of the fourth gospel is symbolized by an eagle[3] - a figure of the sky, and believed to be able to look straight into the sun. John starts with an eternal overview of Jesus the Logos and goes on to describe many things with a "higher" level of theology than the other three "terrestrial" Synoptic Gospels; it represents Jesus' Ascension, and Christ's divine nature. Christians should look directly on eternity without flinching for salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my last post it appears that I copied and pasted the entire entry from the internet, not only the reference to the Eagle. I am just learning more about this Gospel and not excactly sure if the authors comments are accuarate. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Jay wins the free coffee on Sunday morning for getting the eagle info!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Jay, the eagle is the early church representation of the gospel of John. The gospel of John was given the eagle image for its lofty writing and theology. Anyone know what images were used for the ohter gospels?

    Jay there will be a card for your at the GROUNDS FOR MISSIONS coffee shop @ HOPE. This cup is on me.
    PFKnight

    ReplyDelete
  9. a bit more on the eagle. Copied directly from a website called: Religion Facts (but varified in other sources).

    Because it soars upward, the eagle is a symbol of the resurrection or ascension of Christ. By extension, the eagle symbolizes baptized Christians, who have symbolically died and risen with Christ.

    Especially when the eagle has a halo (as in the image above), it is the symbol of John the Evangelist. The eagle represents John because of his lofty and "soaring" gospel (it is much more theological in nature than the other three).

    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  10. In response to your question "Anyone know what images were used for the ohter gospels?

    would that be;

    Matthew= Lion
    Mark = Calf
    Luke = Man
    John = Eagle

    William R. Cannon makes reference to this at religion-online. I found several other references pointing to Revelations 4; 6-10. Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Pastor Paul,

    In Church today, I saw in the bulletin that this is going to be a virtual Bible Study and that sounded really cool to me. I'm in!

    --EJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in. I'm a graduating college senior, so I don't know how actively I'll participate here, but I'll be reading along. I've been searching for a virtual Bible study, so I was glad to find one at Hope in this Sunday's bulletin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcmoe to ej and lynsey....the beauty is when you are busy you don't join in -- when you have time you jump in and enjoy conversation...

    PFK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul