Sunday, April 20, 2008

We all deserve hell!

Bonnie and I just finished attending our small group. I think we are in our fifth week of chapter one of our book study. Tonight we never even cracked it open. But we had great discussion and caring for one another. It is really exciting...I feel God knitting our hearts together as we allow one another to see more and more of who we are. Tonight, much of our discussion was centered on the idea of hell and fairness.

Gary Thomas (author of The Beautiful Fight, Authentic Faith, Sacred Marriage, and other wonderful books) was our guest speaker this morning in church. He has been in the Grand Forks area this last week. It was a full and enriching week. One of the things that provoked our discussion tonight was something Gary said. I may not quote it exactly but...
We all deserve hell. The Bible is clear about that. So any day that we are not in hell is a good day and one that we can be grateful for... Even a really bad day is better than any day in hell.
This quote led us to a discussion about fairness, God, and hell. The gist of our time was the solemn realization and affirmation of the truth that if God were to act "fairly" with all of humanity, we would all spend eternity a part from him -- in hell. How amazing it is that we get to know Him. How grateful we are for us wonderful and amazing grace toward us. This truth also makes me want to pray much more fervently pray for and seek to love into the kingdom those that do not know him, yet.


It was a great day of worship and a great evening spent with my small group. And now I get to crawl into bed next to a woman that I love! "Father, thank you! Thank you for allowing me to live, to breath, to love, and to be loved. With love from an undeserving but grateful child, Paul."


a partner in the gospel,

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul