Friday, April 11, 2008

UND Hockey and Marriage


I am not going to cry. But last night was a tough loss for the UND Hockey Team and for those of us who are UND Hockey fans. 6 to 1 is a trouncing. The guys gave us a great season. I was hoping, and "planning" on a win. This was our fourth trip to the Final Four. I was thinking that it was our time. After the first period my hopes and plans were being dashed by the Boston Eagles aggressive and quick offense. My misery was cut short, before the game was finished I had to head to church for a group session for couples planning on being married.


I listened as the panel of veteran married folks talked about working through struggles, forgiveness, dealing with disappointments and even the blessings of being together. I was blessed and reminded that I want to continue to work on my relationship with the one I love. It was a great session. I hope the young couples take it to heart. I hope they allow the struggles, difficulties, and blessings to be used to build a foundation for a great life together.

Today I opened up the paper and the reporters were analyzing and commenting on UND's trouncing. One of the pieces that impressed me was what the guys and the reporter said about Phil Lamoreaux. "He's a stand up guy,"said Chorney, "and he's not going to hide behind anything." Lamoreaux talked about the goals he would like back. He didn't make excuses. There were a few split second decisions that ended up in goals being scored against him. The Grand Forks Herald reporter also mentioned that Phil was the first UND guy in line to shake hands with Boston and the last Sioux player to leave the ice after he shook the hands of the referees.

I don't want to stretch the connection too much between my activities last night; hockey and pre-marital counseling, but...

There are, in every marriage, the moments that we would like to take back. But we can't. This is a time to be "stand up" people. A time to be people who are willing to take ownership for our behavior, the successes as well as the things we "wish we could get back." I wish we could all learn to not "hide behind things" and to stand tall through our struggles and difficulties. If we could do this, I think there would be more couples who choose to not "leave the ice" early.
Your partner in the gospel,

Pastor Paul

3 comments:

  1. Hey Pastor Paul,

    I really enjoyed the panel last week, and Jeff and I had a really good conversation about it afterward. Please let the people on the panel know that they were really helpful.

    By the way, marriage and hockey? I can't relate....maybe if you could make a connection between marriage and bluegrass. I think a lot of people would make a connection with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hockey, bluegrass, and Curling? . . . before moving to North Dakota I thought hockey was only a sport for international athletes with no teeth? I thought bluegrass was something you planted, and I thought Curling was something you did with your hair.

    I'm learning something new everyday, BUT I have to agree, I have trouble making connections up here as well.

    (And no, I was not sheltered as a child. I just grew up in a "normal" part of the country . . . just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay Banjo girl, write to me in a year or so (after your wedding) and maybe you will understand better! Is it true all true bluegrass women spoke pipes and wear big boots with their sundresses?

    Quinn...where you come from Bluegrass is whatcha all feed the cattle ain't it? (typing with a piece of grass stuck in the space of my teeth).
    PFK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul