Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MY PRESIDENT


I didn’t vote for President Obama. I am in significant disagreement with many of the positions that he holds on several issues. One that is prominent in my mind today is his position on abortion. I am hoping that he does not make abortion more accessible. There are other foundational positions that I am concerned about, but I must say that I do sense a positive emotional upturn in our country.

As I watched the inauguration, via video, I was genuinely moved. And as I have mentioned before, I am proud to be an American. It is an incredible thing to witness again the peaceful transfer of power. I couldn’t help but notice the feeling of excitement and anticipation in our national psyche. I couldn’t help but notice the sense of unity among many people of varying races, backgrounds, faiths, and dreams. I couldn’t help but notice an audaciousness of hope. And hope is good for us.

Can President Obama fulfill these expectations and hopes? I don’t know, but I sure hope so. The weight is now on him and he will be called on to produce. As people of faith we get some choices to make at this moment. We can support, encourage, and guide him or we can be a part of the chorus of people who will seek to break him down. We should disagree on issues when we must, but we can do all of our disagreeing by speaking the truth in love.

Finally, we can pray for our President. For those of us who are people of the Word – prayer for our leaders is a command.

“Father, in the name of Jesus Christ I ask you to bless President Obama. Bless his wife and children. Protect them and give them divine wisdom as they are a part of the leadership of this nation. Help us to be a people who bring you honor and praise. Amen.”


A partner in the gospel,

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul