Thursday, January 15, 2009


I have been rereading Brother Lawrence’s classic book: Practicing the Presence of God. And partially because of that book I am seeking to be more attentive and aware of the presence of God in my life. And I am inviting those at HOPE, the church that I pastor, to participate in this discipline with me. We are calling it the 1,3, 10 Practice. The Practice is like this:

1 – Go on a God Hunt each day and find look for the evidence of His working in you, through you, or around you each day and then to tell someone about how you noticed Him.
3 – At least 3 times a day acknowledge God’s presence with you. The added benefit is that as we acknowledge His presence we will also be reminding ourselves to be more attentive and aware.
10 – For 10 minutes each day give yourself to being specifically attentive God through a time of personal devotion. This is a 10 minute commitment to prayer, silence, listening, reading or whatever helps you be specifically attentive to Him.


Now here is the kicker. I have struggled with this the last few days. It seems like I am struggling with it more than normal. But it shouldn’t surprise me! The Enemy does not want me to do is to be aware and attentive to the presence of God. Further, the Enemy does not want me living in the specific presence of God communicating with Him and living with Him. The Enemy does not want me Emmanuel-ing. And so, it seems, that he has specifically kicked up the attack. My attitude has been ugly, my schedule busy, blah blah blah.

The big question is am I going to let the enemy keep me sidelined? NOPE!

Hey, if you are seeking to grow spiritually and taking steps to make that happen...don’t be surprised if the enemy seeks to thwart your efforts. But remember: “…the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” 1 John 4:4

Your partner in the gospel,

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul