Friday, November 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Dr. Billy Graham!


It was the summer between my 8th and 9th grade years in school. I had been being drawn by God toward Himself for quite a long time. Witnessed to by friends who knew Jesus. And sensing his love and also very aware that I was sinful. I was wondering how to "get my life connected to God."

The new film produced by the Billy Graham Association, Time to Run, was playing in Duluth Minnesota. I attended. After hearing Dr. Graham's preaching on the film, being moved by the story, hearing the testimony of Robert Lapine Sr. (a man from Duluth who spoke at the end of the movie), and hearing the prompting of God's Spirit; I made my way to the front of the theater to receive Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord. "God loves you and will forgive you, " echoed in my heart.

I am consistently blessed and amazed, blessed, and challenged by the life and message of Dr. Graham. His constancy and faithfulness to the simple gospel message and his life lived in devotion to God are a model for all who have the evangelistic heart and gifting and really to all followers of Christ.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College and the center's museum on the history of evangelism. As I stood in the pulpit used by Dr. Graham on display (yes I stood in the display), I asked the Father to renew my heart, to help me to be faithful to His call on my life, and to continue to burn the message of Jesus' love and forgiveness for everyone into my heart.

On the day of Dr. Graham's birthday I would like to say, "Happy Birthday and thank you!"

a partner in the gospel,

Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul