Monday, March 24, 2008

Economic or Spiritual Stimulus Package?


The US government has announced that they are providing a $145 billion economic stimulus package to taxpayers. It is pretty exciting to think that our government is going to be sending most of us checks in the mail. I like that! This is being sent in hopes that it will be an “economic stimulus” package . Spend the money on something you want or need and give our lagging economy a needed "shot in the arm.” Although I am not convinced this will work, I certainly like the idea of putting funds into the hands of people. “Free” money is good. But I am wondering if it could be used for a greater stimulus?


There is an old saying that I have heard many times through my “brief” years. “Put your money where your mouth is.” I would like to change that a bit. I would like to encourage us to think in terms of “putting our money where we would like our hearts to be!” Jesus teaches; “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Luke 12:34).” Think of it! Most of us want our hearts more in tune with Christ and more alive spiritually. What if you could stimulate your heart through giving! I believe we can. It seems that this is one of the reasons Jesus teaches so much about money and possessions. Because he knows that money and possessions do affect our hearts spiritually, either for benefit or as a hindrance. Dare I say that faithful giving may prevent significant heart disease? Back to this economic stimulus package.

I am thinking that this gift of money from our government may have a greater value than merely being an economic stimulus package. What if the followers of Jesus Christ would take this money and use it as a way of directing or stimulating our hearts through the worship of giving? Moving this money from being an Economic Stimulus Package to a Spiritual Stimulus Package!


While I was in Ethiopia, it struck me that my wife and I will be receiving approximately $300 per child in our household and about $1,200 for us as a couple. The cost to sponsor a child through Compassion International is about $384.00 per year -- $32.00 per month (http://www.compassion.com/). What if we used a part of our economic stimulus package to affect the life of a child in the world? Think of the benefit to us and to the child. This got me thinking about this stimulus package even more. How can we use these monies to further the kingdom of God?


What about blessing your local church or a local church ministry? Our congregation is going into a building program in the next few months. We want to provide more seats for those who don’t know Jesus yet. We are also thinking of launching a new offsite worship venue so that we can bring the good news of Christ to more people. I am thinking that using a portion of the economic stimulus package to help launch our building fund or satellite worship venue, or even another area of ministry through our church, might be something worth praying about! Imagine what would happen if followers all around the U.S.A. would provide an influx of “over-and-above” gifts to their local churches or ministries to be used to help stimulate the spiritual lives of those around you. The options are as varied as our hearts. The point I am seeking to make is that we can just spend the money or use it for spiritual purposes. Let me tell you what I am praying about…

I have been thinking of getting a big screen television (it started as a 52”) since sometime before Christmas. I now have this free money coming and I am thinking: “Big screen television or sponsor another child?” I am struggling with “big screen television or helping HOPE, our church, extend the ministry of good news.


Think of the benefits to your life spiritually, the spiritual life of your family, if we all would sit down together with this money in hand and ask God: “Father, how can these monies be used as a Spiritual Stimulus Package? How would you like us to use this to impact Your kingdom or to do good in Your name?” Maybe we will find Him saying: “Go ahead treat yourself and give to this area of my kingdom.” I am not sure what the outcome would be for you or for me. I just think it will be good for us to be open to Him and ask the questions.

Your partner in the gospel,
Pastor Paul


P.S. If you give a gift as a result of the economic stimulus package may I encourage you to write on the check memo line: Spiritual Stimulus Package.

4 comments:

  1. I have a suggestion, but it goes beyond the one-time stimulus package. How about if the Church bands together to subsidize one parent staying home with pre-Kindergarten age children, or at least to provide Christ-centered daycare to low income Christian families? It seems like we're more willing to help people in economic difficulty overseas than over here.

    I hear the argument that this is America, and if you're going through hard times here it is either temporary, or your own fault, or both. But the job market has become much more competitive in recent decades with all the free-trade agreements and the outsourcing of jobs that has resulted. During my lifetime growth in real wages has been limited as Americans have had to compete first with a flood of traditional home-makers entering the work force and then with foreign labor pools being opened to American corporations through increased technology and free trade agreements. To some extent the aging of the work-force has obscured the statics on this - the Baby-Boomers have for the most part become increasingly well-off as they age. But it is undeniable that to compete for a good paying job these days most young people entering the work force must first seek a specialized college degree. That often entails going deeply into debt as tuition costs have soared along with the ever-increasing demand for higher education.

    These days it is virtually impossible for young married couples just starting out in life to make it on one income. Those young couples who want to keep a parent home with a new baby will find their choices very limited when it comes to what housing they can afford. If a house was bought first and the kids followed, the mortgage was probably based on the assumption of two incomes. Where is the Church on this? Is it just expected now that young families will have to send their infants to the care of a non-relative?

    There are any number of reasons why "other-than-mother care" is undesirable, even by this world's standards. But shouldn't the Church be even more concerned with the spiritual welfare of its children? When a baby is baptized or dedicated the whole congregation stands in agreement that we will support that child's parents in raising them in the fear and knowledge of the Lord. With regard to training up children in the way they should go, most daycare providers are either neutral, or worse - especially high quality state-subsidized daycare centers such as on University Campuses.

    Given the host of emotional and psychological impacts on very young children that are raised with full time daycare I would expect the Church to take a stronger position on the issue. When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s traditional homemakers entering the workforce was a hot-button issue like abortion and homosexual rights. Today it is simply an economic necessity, so the Church has sort of shut up about it.

    But why? How much would it really cost to subsidize families with small children so that one parent could stay at home? Considering all the costs of holding down a job (additional transportation, additional taxes, additional work clothes, etc.) I would think only about half of the average second income translates into real income for the average working family.

    But if that is still too much, why couldn't each Church open a Christian daycare center? It would still be "other-than-mother care," but at least it would be a positive spiritual environment where Christian parents' values and teachings about God would be supported by the messages of the care givers.

    My heart broke a few months ago when my three-year-old said, "I don't know what to think about Jesus." His mother and I said in shock, "Why do you say that?" His response was, "Well, people don't really like Jesus." You can bet we made arrangements for a change of venue, but the cold hard reality is we can't afford Christ-centered daycare.

    Where is the Church on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so saddened that you have such hostility toward the church. Hope just went through the volunteer revolution and maybe you don't attend Hope, but we just focused on taking a step of faith and starting or getting involved with ministries within the church. If a ministry towards low income stay at home families is what is needed than please start it. Pastor Paul promotes starting new ministries and has never hindered others ideas. I would encourage you to approach your pastor and tell him your concerns instead of assuming that they aren't willing to help.

    You know I strongly believe that the Lord wants to bless us and he promises us plans to prosper us and not to harm us. We need to constantly seek what the Lord wants in our life and see his will. The Lord also says where your treasure it thats where your heart is also. I strongly believe that financially when you give to the Lord first the Lord blesses you. I have definately seen that in my own life.

    I am a stay at home mom and my husband doesn't make much, but we value raising our kids which I think that you do too. We feel God wants me home to raise my kids and he HAS provided for us. We have had to alter our lifestyle, but we make it work. We have eliminated cable and car payments, but have not once even considered limiting our giving to the Lord. The Lord continually provides for us!

    There is definately a need for Christ Centered Childcare, I totally agree! Did your wife ever consider opening up your house for that? Just a thought.....

    I understand the needs of wanting to stay at home and trying to afford it, but I would just offer encouragement to you that it is doable! I would encourage you to trust in the Lord and look to him first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the 2nd anonymous,

    When I use the capital "C" I'm referring to the Body of Christ, not a local congregation (and, technically my experience is limited to certain segments of the American Body, I'm sure there are churches that do what I'm suggesting we should). I don't know what you read in between the lines of what I wrote, but I did not say half of what you took issue with.

    I believe the social and economic forces at work in the World today are the precursors of the End Times. What will happen to the Church when the AntiChrist comes and requires the whole earth to take the Mark of the Beast or starve? We need to be preparing to operate as a community much more than we are now. Your individualistic approach is archaic at best. The time for 1st-Century style joint action is upon us! Yet, thousands of American congregations still dismiss calls to action like mine. I prayed about what to write, and believe I was directed by the Holy Spirit in writing it, but let us see what Rev. Knight has to say in response. It may surprise you to hear me say that I know him well enough to trust his judgement regarding what messages are from the Spirit and what are from the flesh. Maybe it is only my own weakness and desperation that drives me to write policy critiques like the one you answered so simplistically, anonymous #2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable?

    An interesting picture is being painted here . . .

    Pastor says . . .let's put some of our "free tax" money towards the kingdom . .. possibly Compassion Int'l? Give and serve. Kingdom focused.

    Anonymous 1 says . . . we're more willing to help people overseas than here? Self-focused.

    Anonymous 2 says . . . let's give to God, however that may look, and then see how he blesses us. here's what worked for me, let me encourage you.

    Anonymous 1 calls that idea individualistic and simplistic?

    And finally the Pastor has to step back in.

    That is a better picture of what the church in America looks like. America is in economic trouble because of themselves.

    I would love to talk with you about this sometime, maybe I'm mis-understanding what you're saying as well? I apologize and ask for forgiveness upfront if I am. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul