Tuesday, February 10, 2009

GOOD NEWS APPOINTMENTS


The Good News Appointments are probably my favorite type of appointment that God arranges for me. This is when you are given an opportunity or God has arranged an appointment for you to bring a bit of Him verbally into a situation. The appointment may be to speak a word of truth, to tell a part of how God is working in your life,to interject his name, or even to invite a person into life in Christ. Peter, in his letter, says that we need to always be ready.
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect… 1 Peter 3:15 NIV

Ready for the Good News Appointments God is preparing for us. I had one of these appointments this past week at the desk of the motel I was staying at. I was in conversation with the young woman behind the counter and began to ask if she were involved in a church or spiritual things. She answered in a way many people do. She mentioned involvement in a church but not really active or engaged. I casually mentioned that the great thing about Jesus is that more than going to church, He wants us to know how much he loves us and wants the best for us. It was simple. It was true. And it was Good News.

She didn’t kneel down and receive Jesus as her Lord and Savior. But Good News was planted; and she and I were blessed. Look for these Good News opportunities. And, by the way, notice how Peter describes us doing this: gentleness and respect. It will make for a much better and more enjoyable appointment if you remember his words of guidance.

Your partner in the gospel,
Pastor Paul

1 comment:

  1. Indeed. Forcing the gospel on people is what most people who have something against Christians use as ammunition to fire at the church. I remember people telling me; for a myriad of reasons; that I was going to hell. Never once did they tell me about Jesus. It was not until a man who first became my friend then became my witness did I receive Christ; and that because he loved me into the kingdom with gentleness and respect; always turning the conversation from what I did to who I did NOT know. So whether you are faced with the opportunity to witness to a friend or a passer by, Pastor Knights echo of Peter's wisdom is worth prayerfully acquiring. That being said, I want to say that this past visit was our first at Hope and if that day was any indicator to how it is there always then we we look forward to attending for the remainder of our stay in GF. Grace and Peace.

    Chris Soulies

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul