Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Boots on the Ground


I was invited this week to the Grand Forks Air Force Base. Our base is instituting a new initiative with local clergy. it has potential to be a wonderful relationship and opportunity to serve men and woman from all over the United States. I have had the privilege of being The Honorary Wing Chaplain for the past year or so of our base. Because of this relationship my eyes have been opened a bit more to the work of our military. I would like to recount two stories that moved me.

Ch, Capt. Shin H. Soh was serving in civilian ministry in New York City on September 11, 2001. He watched as the city he lived in was attacked. As it did for so many, it impacted him. Soh's family had immigrated to the USA when he was a child. He struggled with feeling a part of this new nation. On September 11th Chaplain Soh had something begin to stir in him that eventually ended up in a calling to serve God and to serve his country. He found himself with a realization that the United States was his home and that he desired to couple his faith in Jesus Christ and his commitment to his country. My heart was moved as Chaplain Soh spoke about the coupling of his faith in Jesus Christ and his loyalty to his earthly citizenship.

Ch, Lt Col John Kinney also spoke. Chaplain Kinney spoke about his recent experiences in Iraq. it was his "boots on the ground" report that reminded me that not everything good gets reported. He talked about the welcome from Iraqi people and the affection he sensed. He spoke about the large percentage of American servicemen that are serving more as mentors than "fighting." He said that it seemed that 90% of what we were doing was coming alongside and training the Iraqi people. Again, i found myself thankful for a man who was serving in the name of Christ in an extremely difficult area. Chaplain Kinney mentioned that he wished the media would report more on the people that are being blessed by American presence.

On this day I was thankful for the men and woman who serve Jesus Christ and our nation through military service. I realize there are many who say that we should get out of the war. I don't like the war either. But maybe there is much more good being accomplished than is being made public. The "boots on the ground" report from Father Kinney left me thankful for my primary citizenship, the Kingdom of God; and thankful (even though I may not always agree) for my secondary citizenship, the United States of America.

Your partner in the gospel
Pastor Paul

The photo above is from the awards ceremony when the Grand Forks Air Force Base was honored as having THE 2007 BEST AIR FORCE SMALL CHAPEL AWARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul