Tuesday, November 6, 2007

NOT JUST COFFEE

We all know it instinctively, I think, that fellowship is more than just sharing a cup of coffee. Fellowship as I look at it in the New Testament seems to be about sharing life. It implies a depth. As I was looking up the word, kononia (fellowship), I was reminded of a few things and taught a few things. I was reminded that fellowship is about real relationship, depth of relationship as I mentioned earlier. But I was taught something about how this depth is created. I found it really interesting that the word for fellowship implies within it a “generosity.” What a wonderful understanding -- relational generosity. Fellowship is being a relationally generous giver – giving of ourselves in relationship to others. Fellowship is being a relationally generous receiver – receiving relationship from others.

Wow, imagine if we could create a Church where relational generosity was the norm. If we fellowshipped by being generous with our gifts, our talents, our stories, our vulnerabilities, our weaknesses, and our sinfulness. But not stopping there. But striving as well to be relationally generous receivers; receiving other’s gifts, talents, stories, vulnerabilities, weaknesses, and sins. I am thinking I want to strive toward relationally generosity. But as I write that I know there are things that are risky about it. I wonder if I will be able to take the risk – at least gradually.
Your partner in the gospel,
Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul