Friday, November 16, 2007

In the next 20 to 30 years

Bonnie and I just returned from a week of vacation in Florida. We spent our week at her dad’s place which is located in a small community for people over 55 years old, a retirement village. I found it quite interesting. The place was full of wonderful senior adults many of them enjoying life and contributing to those around them. But this was not so for others. I was struck by how empty and seemingly quite meaningless life can be if your heart and life are not prepared for your tomorrows. I found myself pondering what my life might be like when I am in my senior years.

Assuming, which can’t be assumed, that I will be living 20 or 30 years from now I wonder… How will my spiritual habits sustain me in the future? How will my financial preparation sustain me? Who will my friends be? Am I caring for my health in a way that will make my senior years productive? Will I desire to be serving Jesus with a similar passion that I do now? I know that there are a lot of variables, but not everything is up for grabs is it. Whatever is to come I would like my spiritual life to be full of vitality and in a giving mode. In order to have this hope I know there are some things that I need to modify in my life today so that I can be ready for tomorrow.

Visiting this retirement community for the week also made me think of my mother. She is 77 years old and still teaches a weekly Bible study to young women. She became a follower of Jesus when I was a high school student. Giving through teaching God’s Word has been a part of her spiritual life for as long as I can remember. I admire that in her. I read recently a quote from Philip Yancey: “We must serve or we die.” Each one of us is given a gift that is meant for the rest of us. It is an interesting paradox in the life of a Christian – the more you give yourself away the more you live!

Which brings me back to the things I am pondering: what modifications do I need to make today so that my tomorrow is vital?
Your partner in the gospel,
Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul