Friday, May 2, 2008

The Gospel of John -- The Wedding Miracle John 2:1-11


Jesus attends a wedding feast in Cana. And it is in recounting this story that John gives us the first “sign.” It is the miracle of turning water into wine. Now this has been the subject of a lot of discussion with people in my past. It seems to me that this is one of the miracles that many wish he wouldn’t have done…the whole “making wine” thing has really messed with some people's assumptions. But that clearly is not the main point of the passage, is it?


So here are a few questions for us as we study the gospel:
1. How do you think this sign or miracle helps John achieve his purpose as mentioned in John 20:30, 31?
2. What do you think Mary was expecting when she told Jesus that the wedding party was out of wine?
3. What do you think Jesus meant when he said to Mary: “My time has not yet come?”
4. Chris Z mentioned it on Wednesday night, the question for a free cup of coffee at the Grounds for Missions coffee shop, is approximately how many bottles of wine (average sized bottles) would Jesus have made? (I will go by Chris’ estimate – first correct answer within 20 wins).

7 comments:

  1. So the answer is...980 bottles. More thank enough to supply the revelers, don't you think?

    Zygwriter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mrs Zygs -- you win the cup of coffee -- just for those who don't know -- Zygwriter is Chris' wife -- so the answer may have been a bit easier for her than others! Pick up your cup at the Grounds for Missions shop -- tell them it's on me!
    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- Zygwriter is truly not entering anonymously -- at least I don't think so were you Eileen?

    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not anonymous. Although I do enjoy flying under the radar!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should have people weigh in on the idea -- whether it is actually possible for eileen to fly under the radar. I suppose it is -- I havn't seen it.
    PFK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not if she is sitting next to your wife at the gathering.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, Mark. Actually, anonymity is great. And I do have that. Few people know who I am. Just an annoyance perhaps. A person shushed by her husband, maybe. But the real me...well, that's for sure under the radar...right, Paul? :)

    Zygwriter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul