Wednesday, January 23, 2008

All You Who Are Thirsty -- Come


I was thinking this week about the times in my spiritual life when I am parched and living with a dehydrated soul. In these times my tendency is to want God to intervene and “do something” about me. I want him to pour into me the streams of living water (his Holy Spirit) that I crave. And I cry out to him to come to me and quench the thirst of my being. I have been listening to numerous songs that join me in the cry: “Come to me.” “Come to me” seems to be a common theme.

As I was re-reading Jesus’ words from John 7:37-39, I found myself being spoken to… The words that Jesus speaks to us are “"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.” Interesting, I am praying, crying out, demanding, for him to come to me. And his invitation is for me “to come to him.” I don’t want to quibble about words, yet I find it interesting that I do this very thing in my other relationships. I want my friends to “come to me.” To call me. To visit me. I want them to make the first move. How self-centered of me.

James 4:8 has a wonderful promise: “Come near to God and he will come to you.” The King of the Universe invites me into his presence and I am saying to him – “no, you come to me?” Who am I?

Then from a different perspective, my heavenly Father is saying, “Come to me, you who are weary and burdened.” The invitation is to me – his cherished and loved child! Come and I will take the burden. I wonder what He knows about the benefits of me coming to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping into the Spotlight (my blog). To help in facilitating good open and honest communication (in the Light), please identify yourself when commenting. I will be deleting annonymous comments (see my post: When You Want to Comment Here).
Pastor Paul